Saturday 23 January 2016

Performing Arts

During the lecture, we were asked what is the first word that comes to your mind for certain words: Malaysia, Malaysian Films, History, Merdeka, etc...

However, the words: Malaysian Performing Arts impact me so much
and the first word came to my mind was "Good".

When I was 13, when I started my 'performing life' -Stage Drama Performance. It has been 9 years.
I am from Penang. When I was 13, performing arts especially drama in Penang was not being supported and accepted by my family, school authorities, and even state government. I still remember how school authority fully supports the other co-curriculum clubs and societies, our Drama Club was being ignored, ignored, and ignored. Well, thanks to our ‘must-win-and-cannot-be-ignored-attitude', we promised to ourselves, we must carve out a niche for Drama Club before we graduate. We participated in many many competitions and performances to get experiences. We took part in many performance camps too to improve ourselves so we could win in competitions and to get reputation for our school drama club.

Thank god, we really did it. When I was 17, we won the overall champion, best actress, prominent actresses, best original screenplay, best sound mixing in Northern Region Drama Competition. We were the champion for National Drama Competition too. Throughout the years, our school drama club reputation has slightly improved too.

In 2008 Malaysia election, Penang has finally ubah. The change of state government where they started to improve and support performing arts in Penang. We have better environment to perform, more high-tech stuffs, wider stages and being promoted.

'Good' as in I have been joining drama theater performance for so many years, I see how performing arts in Penang is improving, more people started to accept it and promote it, more parents started to believe their kids that joining performing arts isn't a bad thing, I see how much hard-work my seniors are doing just to promote performing arts of Malaysia.....

This article isn't about showing off, but to share how much we care and how much important performing arts is to us.

For those who negate Malaysian performing arts, please kindly take part or watch some good shows, I bet you will change your mind oh~ For many of you might not understand why does a ticket cost you so much, for a good show, we need to prepare, practice and rehearsal for at least few monthssss. We pay own petrol, we spend our time after class or work until late night. Most of us are freelancers, sometimes we don't get paid too. We earn from selling tickets to rent the stage, to buy costume and so on to perform the best show for you!

Here for you: http://www.penangpac.org/content/home/index/site:penangpac-link:1598
                       http://georgetownfestival.com/
                       http://www.klpac.org/PrivacyPolicy/whats-on/
                       https://www.facebook.com/penangcny
                       https://www.facebook.com/armeniansgt/
                     

Btw, I really can't wait for the drama theater show Dr. Carmen mentioned in the class!!


No comments:

Post a Comment