Wednesday 13 July 2016

The Big Durian Documentary

During the few days of Hari Raya holidays, I watch this documentary agin. Well, before watching this documentary, I never knew there was such a big and serious case happened in Malaysia in 80's. But, I remember my papa did mention to me before about few of Malaysia Sultan killed somebody but the cases were like a needle sinks into the deep deep sea. Nobody knows who did that, nobody knows how the cases ended up. Well, some people say that were just rumors.

This is quite similar to the documentary show which Prebet Adam ran amok with a gun in the Chow Kit area in KL on October 1987. An uncle who is I believe is just an actor, he mentioned in the documentary said that the rumor about the incident was a Sultan of Johor killed Prebet Adam's brother which caused him to run amok, but some said it was absolutely not true. Nevertheless, I can feel the nightmare they had were true and real. Because most of them had gone through the 513 incident in 1969. It was just around 20 years later when Prebet Adam ran amok with gun in KL. Although the all the cast interviewed in the documentary show were actors and actresses, I think they were just expressing the people's thought through their mouth. Throughout the show we can see that it was a big case where many people were scared and even some of them refused to recall and talk about the incident happened.

When this incident happened, there were so many rumors being spread around that brought everyone into a mess situation. Some people said it might be a second 513, many people would get into danger because of racial riots. In the show, some of them recalled during the time, they started to store some food at home to prevent something would happen. Nobody was dare enough to go on the street, with the audio editing, the silent on the empty street really scared me out. I can feel their fear even I wasn't there during the time. Probably 513 incident really brought them a lifetime nightmare which no one else wish to happen again. The lost of food, houses, and family...

Overall, the most impressive in the documentary was the audio editing. I was impressed with how only music instrument could lead audience emotion up and down, especially when the Indian lady was telling the situation on the street the next day after Prebet Adam ran amok in Chow Kit area. As well as with black and white scene (if not mistaken) and the audio, I could really feel the silent on the street and it killed me a little while.

Despite nobody knows what really happened with Prebet Adam to run amok with a gun, but as Malaysian, until today many of us really fear about any racial issue which will cause a serious fight and lead to a flood filled with blood. I am grateful Malaysia and Malaysians are doing well since I was born, I wish it can stay as what it is now, to lead ourselves to a better Malaysia in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment